About the pakiT
The lightest, smallest folding bike in our line is the pakiT and its so small it fits in a backpack! This remarkably compact bike is 22.5 lbs before upgrades. We were careful to maintain a high quality ride to insure you could still ride this bike for hours around town with ease while making it fold quickly and compactly to fit unobtrusively in all the situations in your daily city life.
More Details on the pakiT:
- 6-10 lbs lighter than other compact folding bikes. Weights ranging from 16 lbs for a custom Mk2 to 29lbs for Mk1 Electric Assist 9 speed
- High quality ride from a sporty geometry compromised by the fold
- Quick compact locking fold in under 20 seconds to 38″ x 24″ x 10″ (96 cm x 61 cm x 25 cm)
- Fits into small spaces – 28″ x 17″ x 8″ (71 cm x 43 cm x 20 cm) when folded and packed into the backpack.
- For riders up to 190 lbs (86 kg) on Mk2 models and 220 lbs (100 kg) on the standard Mk1 models.
- Compact wheel size – The pakIT comes with a 16″ wheel which means it can easily fit into small spaces while still offering a great ride.
- Belt Driven Custom Option – Gates Carbon Belt Drive is available. Grease free, maintenance free, lasts longer than a chain. Internally Geared Hub is a custom option. If you are interested contact a bike expert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This 45-second video shows how the pakiT folds and unfolds:
Options to Customize Your Bike:
Choose your frame color:
There are many more colors available if you order your bike as ‘Full Custom’ when working with a Bike Friday Expert. The ‘Color Viewer’ below shows our whole color palette, regular and full custom, together.
Upgrade and Accessory Options:
Electric Assist Option:
You can add Electric Assist to this bike. It is a front hub motor pedal-assist style and comes with a 36V battery with ~50km (31mile) range. This hub motor system replaces the front hub in the front wheel. (In 2023 there may be an airline checkable LIGO battery available, but not currently)
More details on the system:
- 250 Watt Q85 hub motor
- Ultra light! Adds only ~ 8 lbs to your bike, so total bike can be less than 25lbs.
- Battery can remain attached when bike is folded – or removed for security.
Travel System Options:
The pakiT can be easily packed into a backpack you can wear for easy navigation through trains stations, subways and other situations you want to have your hands free for other things. Check out this video HERE.
Like most of our accessories, the pakiT Backpack is made right here in Eugene, Oregon.
Travel Case with Trailer:
The Bike Friday Travel Trailer includes everything you need to make your Travelcase into a tow-ready trailer. The system includes the aluminum trailer frame, two (12″) wheels, protective socks for packaging and one reflective flag and thumb nuts to connect your travel suitcase.
The trailer package also comes with a rear hub axle mounted hitch. This hitch can be used in place of a bike-specific hitch, or as a connection method on another bike so you can swap your trailer system quickly to another bike. There is a male air nipple included as well (integrated into the axle hitch).
The gross weight limit for the trailer is 75 pounds. This includes the weight of the trailer (6.7lbs/2.95 kg) and the average case weight is 13lbs, so the total capacity for your gear is 55lbs.
All felt packing bags and blankets are made from Eco-Fi fleece, a product made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles.
Un-Boxing your new pakiT: (Video made by a Bike Friday Customer)
Packing your new pakiT for travel: (Video made by a Bike Friday Customer)
How to order your bike on this page:
- Follow all the steps in the drop-down menus above then “Add to cart” and follow steps in your cart to purchase.
- A Bike Friday Expert will follow up with you to determine your sizing and pick-up /ship date (production takes 5-7 weeks on average) and confirm any needed details about your order.
- Then you get your bike!
Additional Ways to Order with More Options:
We offer many more options than we can post here without overwhelming people. We can likely build what you are looking for. Just contact us and tell a friendly Bike Expert what you are looking for. You can also do more exploring on your own first by clicking on the “Advanced Designer for bike geeks” button to find our bike configurator.
Read PakiT Customer Bike Reviews Below
Submit your review
Once I got my pakiT, I sold my car! I spent a year driving it as little as possible, testing out the idea, and just needed the perfect bike to make it possible. With my pakiT so light I can easily take it up stairs to our public transit or carry it inside wherever I go, life without a car became a reality. I also have a Burley Travoy which is use with my single speed dahon (a bike I don't mind locking on the street in theft-prone Bay Area) to handle shopping and Costco runs. The car was sold in February - and I have not missed it at all. I love being able to bike to meet people and then just quickly fold the pakiT into their trunk, it fits in any car. I also can ride it to a car share vehicle and fold it inside if needed, so I don't have to stress if I do find I need a car. BF made going car free possible for me. Car Free – 5+ Bike Fridays
Acquired the Pakit this summer and it has been a match made in heaven ever since. Of the bikes I already own, the Pakit feels great and rides smooth. I enjoy cruising the streets of New York City, and exploring all the things it has to offer. Recently I put the Pakit to the test on European Bike Tour down the Danube covering Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest over 8 days. The bike performed well in city riding, open country road, motorways, bike paths, and even crashed gravel and rocky road. Climbing was comfortable. This bike gets a lot of looks and becomes a conversation piece. The Pakit with 11 speed alfine and carbon belt drive is a winner
Over several years I have acquired several folding bikes. I have a Brompton and a Tikit and now an 11 speed Pakit Elite. The Pakit is by far the lightest and most elegant design. The 11 speed Shimano Alfine hub works flawlessly and has 11 useful evenly spaced gears. It has a titanium seat tube mast which has the unexpected benefit of some flexibility and shock absorption. It weighs just under 20 pounds
which is several pounds less than either the Brompton or TIkit. It rides beautifully.
It is a pleasure to carry due to its light weight and clean greaseless Gates belt drive.
Overall it is a winner. It is a great evolution from the Brompton and Tikit.