Open your mind and drop your assumptions:
A light weight, high performance cargo bike is not an oxymoron! Strong and light CAN go together. This is a cargo bike you will want to ride the long way home after your day of errands.
For 2023 we have done a whole frame and accessory improvement overhaul of the original Bike Friday Haul-a-Day launched on Kickstarter in 2014. Using almost 10 years of customer feedback and racing success in the Disaster Relief Trials (winning more than 7 times in 5 events) we have developed a list of additional features and improvements that make the Haul-a-Day Elite a cargo bike that can do so many things no other cargo bike can.
The new Haul-a-Day Elite is stiffer, lighter, has an equivalent capacity, and handles a heavy load with more stability than the original Haul-a-Day. It retains all the same great features and improves on them by adding more! It also rides great with or with out e-assist.
The base model Haul-a-Day Elite, without e-assist, starts at 34lbs and comes with several options of gearing, handlebar style and colors. There are two options of e-assist style if you want an additional boost on your bike for any load or hill!
- Twin adjustable main-tubes for twice the stiffness and control with heavy loads. Providing a solid, capable, and sturdy ride without adding weight, and allowing one bike frame to adjust to fit a wide size range of riders (4′-9″ to 6′-6″). A totally different sizing universe from other brands.
- 1lb lighter frame through triangulated space-frame technology.
- Total weight rating at 440lbs (200kg) (rider + bike + cargo) GVWR.
- Compressionless brake housing for improved braking
- Dedicated rear light mount on the optional Diamond Deck
- Clearance for 2.25” tires with fenders and up to 2.4″ tires under certain component combinations (see bikepacking package option)
- Accessory improvements to the kickstand and the Whoopee Deux bar. (More pictures and details coming soon, bikes built in July will have accessory improvements on them)
New accessory additions to the Haul-a-Day Elite:
- New Elite frame bag option made at Bike Friday
- New head tube braze-on that fits multiple brands’ bags and racks
- Improved Yepp seat adapter compatibility (up to 2 Yepp seats).
- New front rack design
Other Unique and Valuable Features of the Haul-a-Day Elite:
- The lightest long-tail cargo bike built today. For perspective…other top brands weigh 15-40 lbs more for the same carrying capacity. You can actually lift this bike!
- As the original vertical parking cargo bike, we ensured the Haul-a-Day Elite still stands on its rear end for small footprint storage, just like the first Haul-a-Day did 10 years ago.
- Fits on many transport racks: bus, car, and train. It even stands upright on its rear end for easy storage.
- It can even disassemble to fit inside a car trunk for long distance travel!
- The only long-tail cargo bike built in the U.S.A.
Your Perfect Size – Truly!
The Haul-a-Day Elite frame is built to adjust the frame size in three places so you can really have a cargo bike that fits you properly (rider heights from 4′-9″ to 6′-6″). Raise the handlebars, lower the seatpost and/or seat mast, even adjust the frame size – you can change the size in just a few minutes to fit anyone in your family! That’s equivalent to 24 different bike sizes with one bike!!
The Adjustable Main Frame (Bike Friday makes the only one in the industry):
Below you can see it only takes one Allen wrench and a few minutes to change a small bike into a large bike or large bike into a small one. With this one revolutionary feature one bike can fit almost everyone. This is the only cargo bike in the world that offers that.
Options to Customize your Haul-a-Day Elite:
Standard Component Groups 9spd & 18spd
Parts Include: Flat MTB bars, disc brakes, trigger shifters, 2.0 in Big Apple tires, front wheel deflopulator
Bikepacking Component Group with 14 spd Rohloff
Parts Include: 14 speed Rohloff hub, all bearings upgraded to sealed cartridge, upgraded cranks, hybrid hydraulic disc brakes and tubeless-compatible rims plus fork with 3 pack braze-ons
(All component packages are compatible with Front-hub or Mid-Drive e-assist (except 18spd does not work with Mid-Drive Motor.)
Choose your Handlebar Style:
Choose Your Frame Color:
Choose accessories package or individual items to fit your plans:
There are so many accessory and gear options on the Haul-A-Day Elite; it’s a perfect canvas for your riding needs and cargo creativity!!
Individual Accessory Options:
Electric Assist Options:
There are two e-assist style options. A Mid-Drive Motor and a Front Hub motor. Both are Class 1 systems, meaning they are pedal assist only, no throttle, and boost up to 20mph for safety.
Both of the e-assist systems come with:
- 4 levels of assist (0-4) you control with an easy grip-shift controller
- A 36 volt lithium ion battery that goes ~90k (55 miles) on one charge (430whr) depending on load. You can even get additional batteries for longer distances.
- Comes standard with integrated front and rear LED lights, powered by the battery and operated by a button on the control.
- Both are 350 watt systems
The Mid-Drive Motor System:
- Works with 9spd cassette or the 14spd Rohloff.
- Has advanced torque, cadence and speed sensors provide a smooth, natural response that improves the cycling experience. The 350W Tongsheng TSDZ II is wildly popular across Europe and Asia for good reason!
- Provides more torque (80 Nm) but adds 2.5lbs more than front hub motor style and increases speed of drive train wear.
Front-Hub Motor System:
- Allows for more drivetrain and component options.
- Lower price point and still gives a helpful boost ( 50 Nm)
- Adds only 10.5 lbs to bike.
How to order your bike on this page:
- Follow all the steps in the drop-down menus above then “Add to cart” and follow steps in your cart to purchase.
- A Bike Friday Expert will follow up with you to determine your sizing, pick-up /ship date (production takes 5-7 weeks on average) and confirm any other needed details about your order.
- Then you get your bike!
Additional Ways to Order with More Options:
We offer many more options than we can post here without overwhelming people. We can likely build what you are looking for. Just contact us and tell a friendly Bike Expert what you are looking for.
Bike Friday 10 Year WarrantyWe have a strong warranty on our frames against defects in material and/or workmanship for 10 years. Warranty is non-transferable. Bicycle components (excluding tires, chain, cables, etc.) generally have a 1-year limited warranty. CLICK HERE for full warranty information.
Read the original Haul-a-Day Cargo Bike Reviews Below
Wired Magazine Haul-a-Day Review 2020
Submit your review